Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fighting Extinction

First the demise of the Twinkie and now this! Hasbro has eliminated the beloved iron token from the Monopoly set and replaced it with a cat.  A cat! I know, right? And they let the PUBLIC vote via a Facebook page.  Do they think that’s a representative sample of the Monopoly-playing public?

Okay, that’s not the reason I’m irritated. I’m irritated by change. It unsettles me. I feel a part of my worldview is altered. I feel less and less connected with people born before 1990. (Let’s forget for a moment that I write young adult fiction.)

I’m not against progress. Hell, I experienced the horror of “Sun In” hair lightening spray. It’s just that whenever I meet someone who doesn’t remember something I remember, it feels like another part of me has gone extinct.

So, today is my tribute to outdated things that hold a place in my memory…and will until said memory falters with old age.
  • Interchangeable IBM typewriter balls for different fonts
  • Tab soda
  • The smell of mimeograph paper
  • Push-button transmissions (like the one on my ’64 Valiant)
  • Flashbulbs for cameras
  • The old Monopoly set that had wooden pieces
Feeling nostalgic? Check out the book Do You Remember Technology? Geeks, Gadgets and Gizmos.

2 comments:

  1. I lived on Tab and plain bagels in high school. Good nutrition for a growing girl!

    I'm with you on the iron. Such a lame replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for companies that offer deals on their products. Customers love bargains. By marketing for these types of companies, you can obtain deals and coupons that you can pass on to the customers. You can also use them as rewards for your top customers or prizes in contests. This can make customers more likely to buy your products since they know discounts are available.play bazaar

    ReplyDelete