Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hello, Universe! It's me, Mandy

A work colleague of mine from years ago used to write a wish (dream, goal, intention) on a piece of paper and tuck it away in the back of a drawer. It was a mindful and purposeful way of telling the Universe what she wanted.

It’s not a new concept. Visualization, meditation, lists, journal entries, vision boards, intention boards all help us clarify what we want from life (in a career, in a partner, in friends).  My sister faithfully creates vision boards each new moon. Now before you react to the woo-woo-ness of that, let’s look at what such boards accomplish.

Thoughts usually run willy-nilly through our addled brains. In the busyness of daily life, we rarely take the time to think about what we want…what we really want. But when we start looking at pictures (from magazines or catalogues or Pinterest or Google images), we engage a different part of our brain. Pictures help us create a child-like sense of play without the judgments that often crop up in journaling (this happens to me!).

I thought about how this might work for authors. Even before I start outlining my next book, I’m exploring how to use a vision board to capture the feelings that bubble up when I think about the characters and the time period – the visuals that will lend themselves to words later on.

I stumbled across an author who uses a Pinterest board in that way. It’s cool that we can go as low-tech or high-tech as we want when setting our goals and intentions.

Have you done anything like this before?

6 comments:

  1. I cast my characters with photographs of interesting people. I find it helps me keep description consistent and a photograph prompts me to try to uncover what is behind their eyes. I also tend to have photos of houses and nondescript landscape. The visuals definitely help me keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will help you be on time play bazaar consistently, which is what most satta king employers look for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wash clothes with cold water, as much as you can. Almost ninety percent of the energy used by a washing machine comes from heating the water for a warm or hot cycle. If your laundry detergent is a high quality brand, the use of cold water won't affect the cleanliness of your clothing. Also, make sure your load is a full one so you do not waste energy washing several small loads.hanumaan Bhajan

    ReplyDelete

  4. Be upfront about potential issues.Ganga Music In the past, it was common to keep problems under wraps, but modern leaders know not to do this. Why is this? It's largely because information spreads like wildfire regardless. The truth will emerge no matter what. A good leader is in control at all times. True leaders do that.Ganga Bhakti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Create your own website for your MLM opportunity. It's important that you own this opportunity and that you become a face related to the brand. That starts with creating your own customized store front on the web. Get out there and get seen. Nobody makes money waiting on the wings.play bazaar

    ReplyDelete