Thursday, September 5, 2013

Embracing (Not Erasing) Regrets and Mistakes

As I mentioned in my last post, I enjoy reading young adult fiction. The storylines hold my interest and the characters are often dynamic, flawed and interesting. The books/series I’ve read have cross-over appeal, attracting readers in their 30s, 40s and beyond. (My book club read The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson; it was one of our favorite books that year.)
 
Here’s my admission: as an adult reader of young adult fiction, I sometimes judge the characters for their decisions and feelings. (And mind you, I don’t have children of my own so this isn’t a maternal thing.)
 
  • “What?! Can’t you see X loves you? Don’t go out with that other guy!”
  • “That’s dangerous! Why wouldn’t you tell X or Y so they could help?!”
 
Those protagonists are making decisions that a 14- to 18-year-old would make. They don’t have three decades of ‘learning’ from mistakes to inform those decisions.
 
As a writer of young adult fiction, I have to keep those protective (judgmental) feelings in check. Arlie, the protag in my YA suspense novel, makes missteps, puts herself in danger (more than once), doesn’t read the feelings of others’ accurately, feels she’s alone in the world. And that’s as it should be.
 
Here’s another admission: I wrote in journals faithfully from middle school into adulthood. I captured on paper some MAJOR errors in judgment. About 15 years ago, I went back and reread journals from my high school years. Adult Mandy was appalled at teen Mandy’s feelings for a guy who turned out to be a pretty BIG mistake. And adult Mandy destroyed two of those journals – as if she could erase feelings and actions that easily.
 
See? Adults make major mistakes, too. And I learned from that doozy. Those very real fears, regrets, hopes and dreams make me a better writer of YA fiction. They are to be embraced, not erased.

3 comments:

  1. Keep in mind a resume is just one aspect play bazaar that is considered. It should always be satta king updated and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep a handyman nearby when you are considering buying a property. Ganga Bhakti The money you make will be used on repairs, otherwise. This handyman can also be on call for problems after hours that the new tenants experience.Ganga Music

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have thought that multilevel marketing would be an easy way to succeed. Once you begin, you will quickly learn that this is not true. There are times when everything goes well, and you make a nice profit quickly. On the other hand, there are dry times when you are not making a profit, and you have to invest a great deal in your MLM venture. Consistent effort and hard work are really the keys to success in MLM.play bazaar

    ReplyDelete