None of us knows the exact time and date of our deaths. Mortality statistics give us the impression that we'll live to a ripe old age (76.3 years for males; 81.1 years for females). Without a firm idea of the time we have left, some of us put off doing things (saying things), believing we have all the time in the world.
That’s why I read obits. These stand out in my memory.
- the vivacious 19-year-old woman who suffered a fatal seizure
- the 45-year-old woman who died after a recurrence of breast cancer
- the 52-year-old father who had a heart attack while sitting in front of his home computer
- the adventurous 23-year-old who died in an avalanche while snowboarding
Whether we live 20 years or 100 years, life is short. And regrets are a bitch.
- Call the estranged relative.
- Take the vacation.
- Write the book.
- Retire at age 55.
- Buy the house (or new chair, or bicycle, or shoes).
- Eat Cheetos for lunch.