Thursday, April 4, 2013

Your Biography -- Courtesy of Google

I saw a tweet from a publisher who warned writers that agents and publishers always Google prospective clients. I mean, they have to make sure you’re not a crazy-pants, raving lunatic or a highly opinionated person with cringe-worthy views on politics, religion or the like.

I purposefully don’t post my views on politics or religion on Twitter or Facebook or in this blog. I’m not trying to hide anything. But I’m aware that polarizing views can make publishers leery – after all, I could be alienating a whole segment of potential readers.

I Google myself from time to time. You can piece together a good bit of my history if you bother to keep reading to the 7th, 8th and 9th pages of results.

  • I’m the author of quite a few nursing articles because I was editor of The American Nurse newspaper for the American Nurses Association in Washington, DC.
  • I edited publications for the United Nations – so my name is connected to tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, and other UN priorities, sometimes in French!
  • I was executive director of the Women’s Resource Center in Durango.
  • I teach continuing education classes (writing, marketing, graphic design) at my local college.
  • I have a communications and marketing business on the side called mlm communications.
  • I drink a LOT of McDonald’s iced tea and post about it way too much.
  • I have a cat (and post about her way too much).
  • I have a blog!
  • I have a Pinterest board on cake decorating.
  • In 1982, I was crowned state queen of the Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas because of my rousing speech on What Fraternalism Means to Me. (This deserves a whole post!)

My life is an open book, so to speak. And so is yours, yours and yours because of social media. But is your book one you’d want the public to read?

3 comments:

  1. I started using the phrase "this writing life" recently and googled it and found your site. Very good name for a Blog! Yes, every word we type is etched into digital eternity! very good question--is the book of our digital life worth reading? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nurture growth in your team members.Ganga Music You can do this by offering help and solutions when they make a mistake instead of punishments. Understand that everyone makes mistakes, and show your workers where they went wrong when they make one. A great team is not hired, it is built through teamwork.Ganga Bhakti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Host an event in which you can play bazaar introduce people to your MLM opportunity. This allows you to save time and keep your message fresh. Inviting people over for a cocktail party or coffee meeting on a weekly basis is a great way to gather people to talk about your opportunity.

    ReplyDelete