Friday, November 2, 2012

Legalize Marjiuana? Maybe. But Ban Pinterest Stat.

There are all sorts of addictions:  alcohol, drugs, shopping, food, work. But social media addiction may be our next national crisis.
You know you’re addicted when you can’t do without something… but also when that “something” crowds out more important parts of your life. In my case, writing.
Before Pinterest, there were a few web sites I checked each morning while I had my first cup of coffee: Facebook, web mail, the local paper, cnn.com.  Each of those entailed a quick scan and I moved on. Not with Pinterest.
I don’t want to calculate the hours I’ve spent searching Food and Drinks and DYI crafts. I don’t have a cake decorating biz anymore, yet I scan cake designs obsessively. And how many recipes using Nutella or Oreos should one person try?
Even now, as I should be sitting down to revise my novel or finish up that short story, I am writing ABOUT Pinterest.
I don’t know if I can go cold turkey but I know I should try. Think of all the fall and Christmas crafts I could be tempted to create — or heaven forbid, give as gifts this year.
Do you Pin? More importantly, do you need a support group for your Pinterest habit?

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when a comment I'm writing vanishes.

    I'm not addicted to pin-rest per say, but I do have net addictions that cripple my writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't come off as a sales person. Most people are turned off by too much of a hard sell. You've got to find a better way - a way that feels natural and like you care for the person you are talking to. It can mean all the difference between an ok year and a great year.play bazaar

    ReplyDelete