Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Taos Day 3: Affirmation of My Path

And it was a very good day...
Had a short story workshopped by my 10 classmates and our instructor, author Pam Houston. Such great feedback -- they got the subtleties I intended, the emotion beneath the surface. What more could a writer ask for.

Well, now that you mention it. How about a fantastic consultation with a VP at William Morrow Publishers?! Yes, in the same day! She began her critique with: "I have no doubt that you'll be published." She suggested that "This Side of Crazy" may not be the book I publish first, meaning it might be a tougher sell because of subject matter and a 16-year-old narrator. She LOVED the idea of the other book I've worked on, "23 Conversations before My Funeral." Both my friend Katrina and sister Tessa said more than a year ago they thought that was the book to go with -- well, it took me a circuitous path to get back to it but I will.

Heard and noted at the conference:
  • "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
  • "In 1910, we stopped reading for plot and starting reading for characters." --author Pam Houston
I don't necessarily agree with the second quote. What are your thoughts? Is it a difference between literary and mainstream fiction?

No comments:

Post a Comment