Sunday, September 29, 2013

Telling the Untold Story

I just saw this Maya Angelou quote on Twitter: “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”

The concept of an untold story is nothing new to writers. It’s the germ not yet developed. It’s the illusive space before that moment of clarity when you finally say, “Yes, this is the story I need to tell.” I’ve known for a while it was time to start writing my next book. But no story gave me that “greater agony” to push me forward. I faced the same fear other writers have had before me: what if I don’t have another book in me?
 
Then something amazing happened. A dear friend from Mississippi visited and described a story idea she’d love to write one day. One morning a few weeks after our visit, when I was in a gigantic blue funk about my lack of motivation to write, I texted her:
 
“I need to steal your book idea. I don’t want to write anything else.”
 
That clarity came out of the blue. And it was so strong that it overrode any fear or guilt I might have about asking such a thing from her.
 
Because she loves me, she texted back immediately, “You may have it. You are much more likely to write it. I wouldn’t have told you if I didn’t think you could take it.”
 
Thanks to a generosity I can never repay, the voices in my head (the good kind) are real again. And once again, an untold story is ready to be told. (Katrina, I won't squander your gift.)

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't limit yourself to one type of job. Research online to find similar names for the job you to apply play bazaar to with your skills. This will satta king include you to apply for more jobs.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Sign up for services that tell you when foreclosures are happening to get good deals. Ganga Bhakti This saves you time from contacting the county offices, realtors and lenders. These lists are usually current and can help you with your search.Ganga Music

    ReplyDelete